About Me

My photo
My name is Jenni and I work at a Animal Shelter. Our staff is well trained and we are good at what we do. I work in the Shelter looking after all the animals. I also work in the spay and neuter clinic as a Vet tech. I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, a parakeet, a leopard gecko, a dwarf rabbit, a mallard duck, and I raise chickens. Almost all of my animals came from the Shelter. When I can I foster animals that come in the Shelter too young or too sick to meet our adoption criteria. Once they are large or healthy enough I return them to the Shelter to be spayed and neutered and to be adopted into their furever home.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Letter From Your Puppy

     I chewed your shoe.... I didn't know what it was, but it was leather and it was on the floor. I was just playing. Your forgot to get me puppy toys. I wasn't housebroken... Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door. I brought fleas into the house... Without anti-flea medication I couldn't get them off me after you left me in the yard for days. I barked... I was only saying, "I'm scared, I'm lonely, I'm here, I'm here! I want to be your best friend."
     You didn't pay attention to me after the first week or so. But I spent all my time waiting... waiting for you love me. But you didn't. Then you got tired of me. You took me to the Shelter. My collar was dirty and too small but the lady there took it off me. Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left.
     Every day I spent there I wondered...
Would I still be at home if I hadn't chewed your shoe? Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Would I still be at home if I hadn't brought fleas into the house? Would I still be at home if I hadn't barked? Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? 
     Then the shelter got overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number... I was still loving you and missing you today when they put me down. I was scared and wanted nothing more than to see your face. Now I'm in a black plastic bag in a landfill. But I will always love you and I will always be your best friend.

Love, 
Your Puppy

This is the fate of too many pets. Pets that were brought into this world by backyard breeders, puppy mills and irresponsible owners. Yes, the Shelters do have purebred dogs. Check with them frequently or find a breed specific rescue. Don't buy from breeders, puppy mills or irresponsible owners. It's the money that keeps them going. If we don't buy their puppies, they'll be forced to stop breeding them. It's supply and demand. Let's save those lives that are already here!
Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment