About Me

My photo
My name is Jenni and I work at a Animal Shelter. Our staff is well trained and we are good at what we do. I work in the Shelter looking after all the animals. I also work in the spay and neuter clinic as a Vet tech. I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, a parakeet, a leopard gecko, a dwarf rabbit, a mallard duck, and I raise chickens. Almost all of my animals came from the Shelter. When I can I foster animals that come in the Shelter too young or too sick to meet our adoption criteria. Once they are large or healthy enough I return them to the Shelter to be spayed and neutered and to be adopted into their furever home.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

My five little foster kittens


The 5 dwarf's
Sleepy, Happy, Grumpy, Dopey, & Sneezy 
 


Originally blogged on April 26,2009


Very sick bundle of kittens - left to right - Grumpy, Dopey, Happy, Sneezy, and Sleepy

Well its hard to believe that I have had these babies for as long as I have. This is the LONGEST that I have ever had to foster kittens until they were "adoptable". I have had these babies MORE THAN 3 MONTHS! Normally it only takes between 2 to 4 weeks to get them up to health and size. Because our Veterinarian specializes in pediatric spays and neuters, they can have surgery when they reach 2 pounds. So I didn't think that these kittens would be any different from the rest.

1 week later - Grumpy is a scared-E  cat 2/7 Dopey in front - Sneezy in back with eyes closed Sneezy  Im giving Dopey fluids
Sick little babies

But with these babies from the beginning nothing was easy and simple. Not only were they EXTREMELY ILL but they were also very small. When I first brought them home they needed antibiotic twice daily for two weeks, IV fluids 2-3 times a day for the first week, eye ointment 3 times a day, and needed to be hand fed and washed and cleaned 3-4 times a day since there was no mother cat to do this for them.

1 week later - Snezzy playing after his bath 2/7 1 week later - Dopey just had a bath 2/7 1 week later - Happy just had a bath 2/7 1 week later - Grumpy just had a bath 2/7
After feeding and bathing

It was a huge undertaking.... It took me an extra hour and half EACH morning to get them squared away before I left for work. Most days I barley had enough time to get myself ready. Making matters worse, Sleepy didn't have much of an appetite. I had to force feed him because he didn't have the urge to eat. He would throw up his food after I would feed him and he died on the third day after I brought them home.

Sleepy - RIPIm giving Sleepy getting fluids - RIP
R.I.P - Sleepy


Grumpy was the lone ranger for the longest time and she was not the most friendliest kitten. She played with the others, but very little.  She was a bit uncomfortable being held. I believe that she was scared of heights. She got better with age and before it was over she loved being picked up and being held. She did outgrow her name sake because Grumpy turned Sweet! Grumpy is permanently blind in one eye and her nostril is deformed on one side as a result. Her blindness was caused by the Herpes Virus. 

You can clearly see that Grumpy is still sick  --  I am still giving them antibiotics. She is much better than she was when I first got her. GrUmPy - I love this picture! LOL!!! 2/27/09 Grumpy 1 week later - Grumpy is a scared-E  cat 2/7
Grumpy

Sneezy was the most playful and outgoing of  all the kittens.When he first opened his eyes I thought for sure that he was totally blind in both of his eyes. They were very hazy and red. Thankfully time and TLC cleared them up completely and he fully recovered.

 Snezzys eye infection - He was unable to open both of his eyes. 1 week later - Sneezys eyes are still cloudy but are improving 2/7 2/27/09 Snezzy Sneezy - just kiss the screen - You know you wanna!
Sneezy

It was easier for me to become more attached to Dopey and Sneezy. The were like my little twins, they were always together in everything they did. They were my little cuddle bugs, they would curl up together in my chair with me.
GETTING SO BIG! 2/27/09 (left to right) Happy, Dopey, and Sneezy - DOPEY  SNEEZY LOOKING  LIKE TWINS!left to right - Dopey, Sneezy, and Happy  They were snoozing before I rudely woke them up to take this picture.Dopey in my flower arrangement - This photo is not staged!!Sneezy2/27/09 - 4 weeks later
My babies

Happy was always the healthiest one of the bunch and she never really got sick. However, she had to be treated as if she was sick because her siblings were contagious. She was the neatest looking kitten of them all, her coloring was very unique. For the longest time she was too busy to be cuddled. She thought it was a huge waste of her time and she had better things to do, like playing.

Happy1 week later - Happy 2/7Happy gets out too!Happys turn
Happy

Dopey was always very sweet. After Sleepy died, I wasn't sure that she was going to make it. She didn't have the urge to eat like Sleepy and that is usually a sign that they are giving up. I was worried that her little body was going to shut down as Sleepy's did.

 1 week later - Dopey my sweet little girl 2/7 2/25/09 Dopey trying to get a watery eye again. It has already gotten better - I started putting ointment in her eye again.Dopey (the only Pinky feet) LOL!  Dopeys side profile
Dopey
The only reason that I've held on to these babies for as long as I have is because they never really recovered from their original illness. Basically, they were on antibiotic for the entire time that I had them... each time they were finished with their round of antibiotics, they would break out and start to get ill again. We went through several types of antibiotics before they were finally strong enough for Surgery.


Dopey on the isoflorine machine Dopey on the isoflorineSneezy getting shavedGrumpy, Dopey, and Sneezy in the back ground waiting for his turn - Happy is out of the cage and having surgery during this picture.

After surgery Dopey and Grumpy broke again with the infection and needed 2 more weeks worth of antibiotics. Happy and Sneezy were able to go up for adoption very shortly after Surgery. Dopey and Grumpy were not as lucky and had to stay behind at my house until they were finished with their medication


Happy
Happy

Adopted Friday April 3, 2009

at Animal Control



Sneezy
Sneezy

Adopted Saturday April 4, 2009

at PetCo via Adopt an Angel


Grumpy
Grumpy - 4/12/09 - Leaving next Tuesday to go to Adopt an Angel.... I think Im going to be keeping Dopey permanently. I am very attache

A
dopted Sunday April 26, 2009
at PetCo via Adopt an Angel




Dopey
 



Surprise! We are keeping Dopey!

Now we have 3 cats! :)


 I couldn't bare to send her away because I have had her so long I feel like she is already ours and I am so attached to her. I know this sounds crazy but it broke my heart hearing them cry when I took them away from home to be adopted. My home is the only home they ever knew  I cried all the way to work when they were wailing in the carrier. And worse every time they saw me walk by in Cat Adoption they would cry for me... It was pitiful.... It broke my heart. However, I am thankful that they are all in good homes now because I know that I did my best to save them.
I just hope that who ever has them appreciates their life as much as I do. 




Dopey today >>>>>>>>


My Bundle of joyMy sweet little babies <3
~Author, Jenni 
All photos are authentic

No comments:

Post a Comment