About Me

My photo
My name is Jenni and I work at a Animal Shelter. Our staff is well trained and we are good at what we do. I work in the Shelter looking after all the animals. I also work in the spay and neuter clinic as a Vet tech. I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, a parakeet, a leopard gecko, a dwarf rabbit, a mallard duck, and I raise chickens. Almost all of my animals came from the Shelter. When I can I foster animals that come in the Shelter too young or too sick to meet our adoption criteria. Once they are large or healthy enough I return them to the Shelter to be spayed and neutered and to be adopted into their furever home.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

NO MORE EXCUES!

Did you ever lose your pet? Many lost pets are waiting at the Shelters for their owners to come... Do you know how many people never ever come looking for their lost pets? Some come looking at the Shelter weeks to months after their pet first went missing. I have heard the excuse they didn't come looking right away because they are thought that their pet was old and just ran off to die. Really??! Some people use the excuse that they have called the front desk several times and asked if we have their pet. You know what? The people that work behind the desk DON'T see the animals that are in the back of the Shelter and they certainly don't know what your pet looks like better than you do... do they?
     
Did you know that Shelters only hold lost and stray animals 3-5 working days depending the State that you live in? Is your animal older? Does your lost pet have any health conditions or skin conditions? Do they have any pit bull or chow in them? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it is extremely likely they will NOT be deemed "adoptable" by the Shelter and will be put to sleep immediately after the holding period is up.
     
Did you know that Shelters have only a limited amount of space available to hold animals? The animals that aren't County property must be held first priority. If the Shelter is full of animals that they have to hold and your lost pet has been there for awhile unclaimed and has become county property; depending on how full the shelter is at the time your pet becomes county property greatly effects what happens to your otherwise "adoptable" lost pet. There is a chance that the Shelter may have to put your lost pet to sleep to make space for other lost animals that are coming in that they have to hold. I can't help but to repeat myself once more to stress this point. Depending on the amount of space available during the time your pet is living at the Shelter makes a huge difference on what happens to your animal, and whether they live or die.
     
Are you willing the roll the dice and take the chance that your pet will be adopted because you think your pet is very nice and adoptable? I wouldn't but I see many people who do this every day. I wish I could change that. Wouldn't you come looking for your lost child? I hope those of you who don't care are more responsible parents than you are pet owners.


~Author Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment